I’m a fan of native app development. I’ve been developing both Android and iOS app for more than 5 years and still continuing.
However, I always search for new technologies. If I get anything better, I try to adopt that.
After finding this framework, a question came out of my head. Can we use it in our mobile app development. While searching for the answer of it I found this ionic framework.
Ionic framework is a multi-platform app development framework powered by cordova. After playing with it for a while the following advantages and disadvantages are found:
Pros or advantages of Ionic Framework:
2. Easy documentation: Ionic has very good and well documentation. Most of the things are covered in their official site. So you don’t have to move around different sites to learn.
3. Rapid development: By running some command line commands, you can create pages (e.g. ionic g page your_page_name), providers etc. When you run a command it generates all files with template codes. So you don’t have to write everything from scratch.
4. Ionic apps run on different platforms. e.g. Android, iOS, windows etc. As a result you don’t have to write codes for each platform. It reduces development time a lot.
Cons or disadvantages of Ionic Framework:
1. Performance: Native mobile application’s performance is better than ionic app. However, in most of the cases, performance gap is not noticeable.
2. Security: If you are developing financial app e.g. app for bank, ionic framework is not recommended. It may not provide as much security as native application.
3. Limited native functionality: There may be some native functions that may be not available in ionic framework. In that case you have to develop the plugin yourself. However, there are many plugins available to cover native functionalities.